Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Annalee's arrival...


Annalee was born via c-section and let me tell you they are not fun! We arrived at the hospital at 5:30 Friday morning and immediately were admitted. We went to our room that is much like a hotel. The nurse started my ivs and asked all kinds of questions. We were then taken to the pre-op room. There they ask several more questions and hooked me up to all kinds of machines. You name it I had it! Then at 7:30am we were ready, but no doctor. The doctor was paged. He called back and said he didn't know I was scheduled. Great! Luckily, he is wonderful and I completely trust him. He came to see Russ and I at about 8:00. He did a short prayer with us and then I was taken to the OR. Let me tell you this was the first time I was ever in an Operating Room. It was kind of scary. There were 4 nurses in the room, 2 for me and 2 for Annalee. Russ at this point wasn't with me he had to get suited up.



Finally, they were ready for the Spinal. The dr came in and put the big huge needle in the back of my spine and administered the meds to make my body (chest down) completely numb. It hurt so bad, then all of a sudden I couldn't feel anything. Russ was then able to come and be with me. Dr. S came in to start the delivery and at 8:50 Annalee was born. Below is a picture!



Now is where the fun part begins. Part of the reason I had to have a c-section is because they had to remove a quarter size cysts from my ovary. Yes, when they were operating the nurse said "wow that is huge!" They thought they may have to take the whole ovary, but luckily they got the cyst by itself. At this point Russ and Annalee are in the nursery and I am by myself with the dr and nurses. During the surgery I started having a lot of pain. It was horrible. All i could do was move my head from side to side. The nurse says "i think her spinal is wearing off!" That is all i remember! Next thing i know i am in the recovery room with my baby!! The next few days i am recovering and with my husband and baby!!!
Fast forward to this past Sunday. I had to go to the emergency room. Russ and I get there (my mom watched Annalee). My incision is in pain and bleeding. The dr tells me it is infected. I get an IV of antibiotics automatically and then they also give me fluids because i am dehydrated. After being in the ER for 5 hours we are finally allowed to leave. It was very scary for both Russ and I.
I go back to my Dr Monday and he has to reopen the incision. Apparantely, this happens with c-sections. So, he cleans my incision that is open!!! And tells me they are going to send a nurse to my house because someone is going to have to clean my incision 2x's a day. OUCH!!
the nurse came yesterday and so far so good! I must say I had a very good pregnancy and if this is the worst that can happen I consider myself lucky. My baby is healthy and that is all I can ask for!




6 comments:

Jaysey said...

Oh, no, Sarah! I am so sorry! That sounds quite painful! I am sure Analee is worth it, but I'd bet you'd rather you could enjoy her without having to worry about your own health! I hope you heal up fast!

Jaysey said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Stefanie said...

Sarah - I love the photos! And Russ looks so cute in his hospital gown.
Sorry you had to go through all that, but I agree with you, you have a healthy baby and you're healthy and that's so important.
I'm so, so happy for you guys.

Chap and Heather said...

Oh Sarah, I am so sorry. I had no idea!! I'm glad you shared it all, I would have never known...see, another reason I'm truly grateful for blogs =) I'm so glad ya'll are doing better and think you have a beautiful little girl that makes up for all the challenges! Can't wait to meet her!

Colly said...

First of all, Annalee is adorable! I love the new look of the blog! I'm glad you're home now so you can really blog it up for us!!

Thanks for the run down. I love details on things like this. I would have never known either. I'm glad all of that is over now. It sounded really scary and awful.

mgoodner said...

Hope you are feeling better! That sounds pretty painful.
Thinking of y'all!